1941 Packard Clipper Sedan

Registration : Dutch registered
Chassis number : 1401 - 9520
Engine number : D4071920

 

 

The Packard Clipper was built by the Packard Motor Car Company (and by the later Studebaker-Packard Corporation) for a very limited period only, The Clipper was classified as a stand-alone marque, It was named after a type of fast sailing ship, called a clipper.

In 1956 model year, the Clipper became a stand-alone make of automobile produced by the Studebaker-Packard Corporation. The Clipper lineup was aimed at the middle-price field of American automobiles that included DeSotoOldsmobile, and Mercury. Following the closure of Packard's DetroitMichigan factory in 1956, the Clipper marque was discontinued, although the Clipper name was applied to 1957 Packards that were built at Studebaker's South Bend, Indiana, factory.

By the end of the 1930s, Packard president Max M. Gilman realized that his best efforts to improve profitability during the last lean decade had not been enough.  Mr. Gilman needed something radically new, and that he needed it in a hurry if he wanted to save the company.

Introduced just eight months before the attack on Pearl Harbor, Packard's hopes for the future rode on the new car design. The Packard Clipper represented a break from traditional styling and embodied an abrupt change in construction techniques. However, World War II intervened. It made the investment to produce one of the only all-new 1941 American cars impossible to realize in a normal marketplace.

This is a matching numbers car, finished in Grey Metallic and with an interior finished in light brown cloth. Car was restored some years ago to a high standard.

The engine is an 8 cylinder in line of 288 ci / 4720 cc, 92 kW / 125 hp with Carter carburetor.

The car has a 3 speed column shift synchronized gearbox.

Fast, Gracious and Spacious!

Asking price: 25.000 €

1941_Packard_Clipper_(cropped)