1957 MGA Roadster

Registration : Belgian registration

Chassis number : HR43/30279
 

 

The MGA design dates back to 1951, when MG designer Syd Enever created a streamlined body for George Philips' TD Le Mans car.
 A new chassis was designed with the side members further apart and the floor attached to the bottom rather than the top of the frame sections. A prototype was built and shown to the BMC chairman Leonard Lord. He turned down the idea of producing the new car as he had just signed a deal with Donald Healey to produce Austin-Healey cars two weeks before. Falling sales of the traditional MG models caused a change of heart, and the car, initially to be called the UA-series, was brought back. As it was so different from the older MG models it was called the MGA, the "first of a new line" to quote the contemporary advertising. There was also a new engine available, therefore the car did not have the originally intended XPAG unit but was fitted with the more modern and now “Legendary” BMC B-Series type allowing a lower bonnet line. The MGA convertible had no exterior door handles, however the coupé had door handles.

The 1489 cc engine fitted with twin H4 type SU Carburetors produced 68 hp (51 kW) at first, but was soon uprated to 72 hp (54 kW). Lockheed hydraulic drum brakes were used on all wheels. A coupé version was also produced, bringing the total production of standard MGAs to 58,750.

An early open car tested by British magazine The Motor in 1955 had a top speed of 97.8 mph (157.4 km/h) and could accelerate from 0–60 mph (97 km/h) in 16.0 seconds. A fuel consumption of 26.7 miles per imperial gallon (10.6 L/100 km; 22.2 mpg‑US) was recorded. The test car cost £844 including taxes.

The car we have for sale is a very well maintained car which is lightly patinated and nicely used, running really well and ready to rally or just enjoy a drive to the south of France with your lady.   

 

Asking price: 23.000 € or near offer

1957 MGA Roadster-06